Monday 25 April 2011

Charley Harper Quiltalong - tick!

So, where had we left off with the old Charley Harper Quiltalong embroidery?



P1020011_800x600



I think I’d just finished doing the little fish and was going on to the prawny thing …

 

P1020020_800x284




So, this weekend I started at the prawny thing … You know I love the prawny thing.




P1020958_800x509


All defining embroidery done, just a few blotches and some reeds to go …


P1020959



… all hail the reeds … 



P1020965_800x579



I especially like that I trusted my gut feeling about not using black for the reeds - I love the black in the print, but I think stitching some light reflectiveness in nudges it comfortably from print to textile ... 



I used three strands of a really high gloss satiny grey twisted with three strands of flat olive green.  I think it gives it a nice reedy sheen … I’d been dying to use that satiny thread, but it’s oh so slippy! 


P1020968_800x600




I also added in the dark coral blotches on the old muskie’s head …

 


P1020974_800x600



Here’s a really low res reminder of the original print:



Muskellunge-1



… et voila! … 



P1020970_800x583


… pressed and neat … quite yum … 


I’m really happy with how it turned out … I didn’t want to overdo it and kill that stark Charley Harper graphic style, but I think I brought in just enough texture with the embroidery.  


I also thoroughly enjoyed the process.  The design, the applique, the pressing, the raw edge machine sewing, the embroidering.  All of it.  


I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do with it yet, but it was such a great pick-up
put-down project, I may start another and just let them build slowly into a collection of Charley Harper panels … 



… I do really really want to do this one! 



charper1


… but have other projects to finish first …



What projects are you itching to get started on, but having to delay for finishing-other-stuff reasons?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...