Tuesday 22 March 2011

Modern Relief - Japan

 
 



I haven’t posted about the situation in Japan until now, simply because I was speechless, utterly wordless in fact.  It’s estimated that rebuilding will take a minimum of 5 years and over £145 billion  … yes, I’ll just say that again … £145 billion.


I have so many connections with Japan through friends, colleagues and students past and present, let alone, from the quilty side of life, all those wonderful Japanese fabrics that make my life sing at the sewing machine - so I can’t just sit and do nothing.


So, I’ve signed up to create a quilt to be raffled for modern relief japan.  Raffles start 4th April, rolling weekly till 9th May. 


My first thought, last week, was to adapt the dresden from Lily’s Quilts QAL to a 21 blade red dresden on a white background, with some whizzy hand quilting of some sort … Sashiko style most likely, with added sashing to make a rectangular lap quilt.


… So, imagine my delight when the modern reliefers posted their blog button!  Now I have inspiration for the surround too!   I might make it a bit more Gee’s Bend-y just to add a bit of interest …


This modern relief project is being organised by Amy from  Amy's Creative Side, Erin from Two More Seconds and Heather from { House } of A La Mode.


If you’re interested in getting involved head over to the modern relief japan website.  All money raised is going to Mercy Corps, who have direct on the ground connections through their partner Peace Winds.


Please watch this video from Peace Winds, shot on 18th March.

No emotive music.  No dramatic voiceover.   Just a 2.5 minute drive through devastated towns  …  in case you needed a reminder of the scale of this country’s need for help. 








What are you waiting for?  Click the button
… or email modernrelief(at)gmail(dot)com
for more info …

 
 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...